Friday, July 1, 2011

A Modest Proposal

We woke up early, really early. But the excitement for the day to come conquered the weeks of exhaustion from packing, preparing, and good byes. And in all too short a time we bid my family farewell and were on our way. February 14th, 2011. That day is significant to me for many reasons. It’s my half-birthday, but that hasn’t mattered since I turned six. More importantly, it was Valentine’s Day, Moving Day, and Proposal Day. Yes, this was the day Linh and I moved from South Florida to Boston.
            Last time, I narrated how Linh and I met in 2008. Now we skip ahead to January 2011. Things have worked out great between us, but we were both floundering professionally. Florida doesn’t have much work in Linh’s field and I wasn’t satisfied practicing law. We’ve been talking about moving out of the state for awhile, but didn’t know where to go. Then Linh got a call from her brother.
            Phan, an auto dealer consultant, had been working around the country, living in hotel rooms for the past year and a half. He’d just gotten stationed permanently in Boston and was wondering if we’d like to become his roommates. We moved just a few weeks later...


Our early start allowed us to beat South Florida’s rush hour, the semi-daily period in which I-95 becomes the world’s greatest parking lot. The original plan was to spend the night in Gainesville, FL and reconnect with friends and family, but I was determined to make my move in Savannah, GA on Valentine’s Day.
So on we drove, taking in the beautiful scenery flanking I-95


and going a tad stir-crazy.



Finally, just after noon, we passed the “You are now leaving Florida” sign. Linh was singularly thrilled to be leaving Florida. I was too. But until this moment Florida had always been my home. I was excited, elated to begin a new life with Linh in the icy north, but those feelings were tinged with uncertainty and regret. After all, I was broke, unemployed and didn’t have a clue as to the next time I’d see my friends and family. In all, it was a bittersweet moment.

And then there was Savannah. Coming off the highway, our first impression left much to be desired. I was expecting splendor, not squalor. After all, this is the city so beautiful General Sherman spared it from the torch. Linh has been talking up Savannah for three years as the most romantic city in the country. Luckily, we soon got to the city center and my worries were washed away. Savannah truly is the jewel of the South.
I blew our entire moving budget on a room at the Forsyth Park Inn, a bed and breakfast in Savannah’s garden district with the most sordid history I've ever heard. It is conveniently located next to Forsyth Park.
Forsyth Park Inn





It was worth it. After all, I wanted the day to be forever etched in Linh’s mind. Forsyth definitely delivered. Check out the pictures of the 12’ doors and private garden. There’s also a giant glass door. Apparently homes were taxed based on the number of doors, so shrewd landowners installed large ‘windows’ instead.



Did I mention the doors were 12'?
After getting settled (gawking over the splendor and 12’ doors), we set off for a stroll around town. Linh didn’t understand why I insisted on dressing up, but I wasn’t going to propose in a t-shirt.

The doors weighed more than Linh.
We spent the next six hours walking around town, taking in the sights and the ambience. All the while I was seeking the perfect opportunity to make my move, but it didn’t feel right.



Forsyth Park, across the street from the inn.

The fountain at Forsyth Park.

We wandered.
And wandered.


I ordered this Frozen Alligator Smoothee (yes, with two E's) as a nod to my alma mater, UF.


And wandered some more.


I am the giant mayor of Tiny Town!
Our travels eventually led us to the city market. After perusing the available art, we sought out somewhere to grab dinner.

A sample of Savannah's fine art offerings.

Being a tourist-town, there was no dearth of overpriced, romantic restaurants. However, they were also all empty. Then we noticed Wild Wing CafĂ©, a chain located in Georgia and the Carolinas, and it was packed with local businessmen. It was clean, reasonably priced, approved by locals, and was the only place on the block that served Guinness. So, that’s where we had dinner on Valentine’s Day, 2011, the night I proposed.
As an aside, I’d like to put this in context of our relationship. Linh and I have a Valentine’s tradition of pizza and a movie. Last year Linh chose Conan: The Barbarian. So yeah, I win at everything forever.
Getting back to the story, yes, Wild Wings is a chain. No, it’s not particularly romantic. But there’s a nice patio area that overlooks the square (which was otherwise empty) and the food was fantastic. Besides boasting the best tater tots and fish tacos I’ve ever had (take that, Florida), we ordered the corn dog pups, which are worth discussing. 

Corn dog pups. So good!
Take a moment and remember how good you thought corn dogs were when you were a toddler. They were the acme of haute cuisine. Of course, in reality they’re greasy, soggy, disgusting masses that should not be consumed by humans. Well, Wild Wings’ version is actually as good as you thought they were when you were five.  They’re crispy, fresh, and served with fantastic spicy mustard. It’s amazing how good food can taste when it’s not prepared by carnies.






So there we were, enjoying our dinner as the square started filling up with couples. Old, young, with kids, without kids; the place was getting packed. It turns out we stumbled onto a mass vow renewal. Apparently, people fly in from around the county for this, and it was happening right in front of us. Linh asked if I had planned this. I’d have said yes if I were a better liar. It ratcheted up the romance level to 11. I took this as a sign that fate was on my side.






          We took a leisurely stroll back to the bed and breakfast when all was done, passing by a few of Savannah’s eerie graveyards on the way. (Linh has a fascination with graveyards that I don’t understand.) And then there we were, alone in Forsyth’s private garden, which was the reason I chose this particular b&b. We chatted for a few minutes, enjoying the beauty and taking in the day. It was time to make my move. And suddenly, for the first time, I got nervous.

This moment marked the culmination of over a year of plotting and planning, and I’ve always maintained unwavering resolve. Now, here I was, having acquired a ring, consent from Linh’s family, and having just pulled off a ridiculously romantic Valentine’s Day in Savannah in the middle of a cross country move, and I got cold feet. I’ve never been so nervous in my life. This was worse than trudging barefoot across murky, gator-infested water. This was more nerve-racking than jumping off the high dive as a toddler. I psyche myself up. “Breathe in...Breathe out…Long, steady breaths. Well, here goes nothing” I thought. And then…“rattle, rattle.” A neighbor was opening the fence to walk by, spoil our privacy, and ruin this one moment three years in the making! It’s a good thing I don’t have inter-dimensional powers, else he would no longer exist in this realm.
The neighbor walked by in a matter of seconds, but it felt like an eternity. We finally regained our privacy, but I had lost my nerve. I realized that there would never be a better time, and I was not going to give up. So, I cut off our small talk by reaching into my jacket and dropping to one knee. I still remember exactly what I said, and Linh’s reaction.
“We’re moving across the country to start a new life together. Let’s make it a new life, together. Linh Dang, will you marry me?”
Good god, I actually did it! Trembling, I looked up. Linh had an ecstatic smile and shouted a resounding “Yes! Of course!” as chubby baby angels sang overhead and a flash mob started a choreographed dance sequence in the background. Linh sat motionless with the blank expression of someone rendered unconsciousness due to blunt-force trauma to the back of her head.

                        *blue screen of death*

After several moments, I could see the synapses restarting behind her eyes.         *System reboot*

She blinked.
.
.
.
“Wait, seriously?
...Uhh…yes!”                                      ………. *system malfunction*
“No!
                                    ………….
Maybe?

Can I think about it?”

This, of course, was not the reaction I had been expecting.

However, I was determined. So, I made the sale of a lifetime. “Honey, we’ve been discussing long-term plans together for over a year. We’ve discussed our dream wedding and having children.” You’ve been talking about this. But that’s not what clinched the deal. I didn’t get a yes until I presented my Valentine’s Day present, a DVD of Bride of Chucky. Linh mentioned this film as her favorite hangover remedy. I remembered. I knew her well enough to know such a ridiculous detail. And that’s how I got her to accept. Nothing else mattered. Not Savannah, the b&b, or any of the planning to make this a perfect Valentines. I’m getting married because I knew Linh well enough to get her Bride of Chucky for Valentine's Day. How’s that for romance?
The morning after. See? She's smiling!



House gnomes left this on our bed.

1 comment: